PASTOR’S WORD — One of our Arkansas Conference pastors, Rev. Robert Crossman, wrote several years ago an article titled: “50 Ways to Welcome a New Pastor”. Many of his recommendations we are already implementing, but here are a few areas that you can make a big difference with as you plan to welcome Pastor Kathleen upon her arrival June 27th…
PREPARE TO WELCOME YOUR NEW PASTOR
- Open your hearts and decide that you are going to love your new pastor.
- Begin praying daily for the new pastor and family, even as you continue to pray for your departing pastor and family.
- Know that welcoming your new pastor in genuine and effective ways lays the ground work for a healthy and vital relationship and the development of stable, long-term ministries together.
- Plan for the transition. Occasionally important welcoming gestures are missed with everyone thinking someone else is handling these details.
WELCOME YOUR PASTOR ON MOVING DAY
- Volunteer to help unload household belongings.
- Stock the refrigerator and pantry with some staples.
- Have a small group on hand to greet the new pastor and family when they arrive and to help as needed.
CONTINUE THE WELCOME BEYOND MOVING DAY
- Take food over for the first few days. Many churches continue the practice of having a “pounding” for the new pastor when persons bring food items.
- Provide a map with directions to local dry cleaners, grocery store, drug store, veterinarian,etc., and information on local options for internet and cable television providers.
- Give gift certificates to several of your favorite restaurants in the community.
- Give the pastor and family a welcome reception on the first Sunday.
- Plan a worship celebration of the new appointment.
- Invite the new pastor to any social events held by Sunday School classes or other groups in the early months.
- Make sure the pastor’s spouse and children, if applicable, are invited to Sunday School and other appropriate small groups.
- Continue to remember your new pastor and family in your daily prayers.
HELP YOUR NEW PASTOR BECOME FAMILIAR WITH THE CONGREGATION
- Introduce yourself to the pastor repeatedly! You have one name to learn; your pastor has many names to learn.
- Wear name tags.
SPEAKING OF PASTOR KATHLEEN… — We need volunteers to assist with unloading the moving truck when she arrives on Tuesday, June 27, around 5:30 p.m. (It’s after work hours, young people, so plan to come give us a hand!) Pastor Kathleen’s address as of June 27 is 4701 Lochmoor Circle (in Sage Meadows).
PASTORAL CALENDAR: Here’s what the calendar looks like:
For Pastor Chris:
- Annual Conference (includes both Chris and Sam) – June 18-21.
- Back in Jonesboro – June 23
- Have you heard? Danny and Carla are gettin’ hitched!!!! – June 23, 7:00 p.m.
David Belk preaches on June 18
For Pastor Sam (who does remain with us at Cornerstone!):
- Provide pastoral care as needed – June 24-June 27
- Preaching June 25
For Pastor Kathleen:
- Move in day is set for late afternoon on June 27
- First preaching Sunday – July 2
WEDDING INVITATION — Everyone is cordially invited to attend the wedding of Carla Pratt and Danny Jones on Friday, June 23, at 7 p.m. in our sanctuary. A reception will follow in the Fellowship Hall. The couple respectfully requests no gifts.
ANNUAL CONFERENCE — The Arkansas Annual Conference of the United Methodist Church is this Sunday through Wednesday in Hot Springs. In addition to Pastor Chris and Pastor Sam, Rich Carvell and Suzanne Blackburn will be representing Cornerstone. Adam Watkins will also be in attendance, and rumor has it that he will be keeping the beat on the drums during some of the worship sessions!
NEW NURSERY DIRECTOR — We are pleased to announce the hiring of Andrea Newsom as our newest addition to the Cornerstone staff. Andrea will assume her new role as Nursery Director on July 2. Andrea is no stranger to the CUMC family as she is the daughter-in-law to Allen and Andrea Hicks.
Andrea is married to Drake, and they have a precious daughter, Amara (2). Be sure to stop by and welcome her in the nursery beginning July 2.
HOUSING NEEDED — The ASU Wesley is searching for housing for a new assistant to Pastor Sam. The assistant needs a low or no cost option. He would be open to living with a family or individual. Please contact Pastor Sam if you can help!
FISHER STREET SUMMER FEEDING PROGRAM — Volunteers need to be at Fisher Street at 10:30 a.m. on their scheduled date. Contact Nelda Adams at (870) 919-8959 or Patrick Gillespie at (870) 476- 0908 with any questions.
CHILDREN — I want to begin by giving a GIANT thank you to everyone who volunteered with VBS and welcomed me with open arms as your new Children’s Director! I am absolutely elated to work for and with such an amazing church! I look so forward to getting to know all of Cornerstone’s wonderful children and being an integral part of their faith journeys!
As you might have noticed this past Sunday, the children stayed in the 9:00am service and did not go across to the Cloud Room for Kid’s ConneXion. Kid’s ConneXion will be taking a break for the summer months and is planned to resume when school starts back. For this reason, the children will remain in the 9:00am service throughout its duration. Remember that there are bags located at the back of the Sanctuary that the children are free to use during the service. They have books, coloring sheets, blank pieces of paper and crayons in them!
This week in Sunday School we will be learning about the story of the Courageous Friends. This story comes from Daniel 3:1-30. – Joyfully His, Abbeigh Rainwater (email@example.com).
LINK — LINK is a ministry geared specifically for the transitional ages of our 4th – 6th graders. It meets for Sunday School at 10:00 in the children’s wing of the education building. LINK also meets after the Wednesday night meal for games and fun activities from 6:15 – 7:00 p.m. — For information contact Link Director Crystal McDaniel (firstname.lastname@example.org).
YOUTH (GRADES 7-12) — Wednesday night the youth are continuing to meet, parents are providing meals throughout the summer. The junior high youth are finishing up the book Not a Fan, and the senior high youth are working on Dave Ramsey’s youth financial study. The youth will be attending two camps this summer, Delta Pride and Assembly. I will be a counselor and small group leader at both camps this year. If anyone is interested in attending contact me for additional information.
Dates for Camps: Delta Pride: July 12-15; Assembly: July 24-28 — For information contact Youth Intern Taylor Noles (email@example.com) .
HELPING NEIGHBORS FOOD PANTRY — Thank you for helping us keep the food pantry stocked at Helping Neighbors. Drop your donations off anytime at the back of the sanctuary. Week of 6/25 – Canned meat, tuna, chicken, spam, ravioli, spaghetti, spaghetti sauce, stew.
SAGER BROWN MISSION TRIP — Nine people from Cornerstone UMC recently enjoyed a week of work, fun, and fellowship at UMCOR’S (United Methodist Committee on Relief) Sager Brown Facilities in Baldwin, Louisiana. Relief kits packed at Sager Brown are sent to more than 80 countries, including the United States, when war, conflict or natural disaster disrupts life to a significant extent. Members of the group worked packing flood buckets and health kits, sewing cloth bags for school kits and on some construction projects. Additionally, the group enjoyed some sightseeing, great food, and playing dominoes in the evening. The week was truly a blessing to all who were able to go.
CUMC has made reservations for a group to go to Sager Brown February 18 – 23, 2018. Contact the church office or Patricia Harlan if you are interested in going at that time.
MUSIC MINISTRIES — All are welcome to play or sing. If you are interested, contact one of our music folks today. Blake Smith (firstname.lastname@example.org) directs our chancel choir, and Ethel May Beall is our accompanist (email@example.com).
MARRIAGE CONFERENCE — CUMC will host Laugh Your Way to a Better Marriage with Kathy and Garrick Price on Friday, July 14 from 6:30 – 8:30 p.m. and Saturday, July 15 from 10:00 a.m. – 3:30 p.m. The cost is $15 per couple and includes childcare/dinner/breakfast and lunch.
Register online at http://signup.com/go/JCNugdc or contact Michelle Young at 870.761.0538 or Patrick Gillespie at 870.476.0908.
REVISED FISHER STREET FEEDING SCHEDULE — June 23: Nelda Adams, Sandy York, Ann Lovern, Betsy Barrett, Randy Garrison, Nancy Rainwater, Barbara Blanchard, Randy Garrison
June 30: Gary Rudder, Carolyn Rudder, Mary Montgomery, Shanon Brantley, Becca Farley, Mary Adams, Barbara Blanchard
NEWK’S DISCOUNT — Take your church bulletin on Sundays to Newk’s Eatery (either location) and receive 10% off during the month of June.